My Guillemot L (part 2 finishing)

In Guillemot L, Wood Kayak on April 2, 2009 at 1:26 am

04/04/09 Today I put the fifth and final coat of varnish on the deck after spending the day with John Harris of CLC boats (http://www.clcboats.com/) on Gandy Beach here in Saint Petersburg, FL    Wish I would of had this one done to show off, but there will be time.  The next two pics are after the varnish.  I still have to varnish the hull, then rig it out.  Launching will be soon now.



03/16/09 I haven’t posted anything again, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been working.  It just means the work I have been doing is boring.  I have been putting fill coats on the hull, and wet sanded the entire hull.  So even though I have been busy, there really isn’t anything new to see.  The sad part is there wont be for a couple of weeks.  Now the hull is done, I will roll her over and do the same to the deck. then start my varnishing.  Then you will see pics as I am done varnishing, and trimming out the hardware.  Other than the fill coats I have drilled the rear bulkhead for the skeg cable and  and used duct seal on the skeg box and bulkhead to keep things water tight.  I also laid out for my foot pegs and prepped them.

03/10/09 It’s been a couple of days since I posted anything, but I have been working… well kind of.  Sat. I spent about 20min puttying and sealing the sheer line, Mon. I set the ribbon I use on the port side, and today I set the ribbon on the starboard side.  That only takes a couple of hours on each side.



03/06/09 Had a hard time getting motivated, but still managed to get a few things done.  I started with installing both bulkheads, and filleting 3/4s of the way around on one side of each.  Then I moved on to sanding the drain ports for the hatches, and then cutting out and installing the hatch rims, and once that was done I hoisted it back in the air and did a end pour in the bow.


03/05/09 Not an exciting day today, I rolled the yak over and seam taped the other side, and then left to run some errands.  Picking up materials for my next build (Redfish King).  When I came back I lifted the yak up to do an end pour on the stern end.


03/04/09 I started the day by cutting out my hatches, and then started strapping the two halves together and seam taped one side together.  I must say that this is the hardest part of kayak building.  Trying to get the tape & epoxy along the seam from bow to stern is a royal pain.


03/03/09  Coming back from a nice weekend paddle (see Cayo Costa), and suffering through jury duty on Monday, I managed to do a little work on the boat today.  I laid out the recesses for the deck lines, the u-bolts on the ends, and the hatches.  I pre-drilled for the u-bolts and then filled the holes with epoxy to seal the wood from any moisture,


and then I drilled the holes for the deck line recesses and installed them. 


Then I did my final fill coat of epoxy on the inside of the deck.  I also discovered that the foot pegs are going to mount right at the seam line.  So I guess I will have to mount it on blocks instead of using thru bolts. 

02/27/09 Today I installed the combing.  It is really hard to take a saw to the body you have worked so hard to shape.  But taking your time and fitting the combing a dozen times and slowly cutting away what is needed, you end up with a nice tight fit.  Add to that a nice epoxy/wood flour putty along the outside and you end up with a nice product.  Also installed the skeg handle block.



The pile of items left to install before I start the varnish work is getting smaller…


02/26/09  Today I finished with the major glassing… the inside of the deck including reinforcing.  Put a second fill coat on the inside of the hull, and started my idea of wood carry handles.  I like the feel of “Kayak Karry” handles which I can no longer find, so I am constructing my own out of some mahogany veneer I am laminating.

02/25/09  I striped the forms out today, did a little light sanding on the inside of the hull,


and glassed the inside of the hull.  Thanks to my contacts at US Composites ( http://www.uscomposites.com/) for giving me a great deal on the kevlar hybrid material for my cockpit area, I laid the reinforcing cloth as well.


Time to box up the forms till I can make another one of these yaks for me.



02/24/09 Today was productive in a simple kind of way.  I added the reinforcing glass to the bottom of the hull, added my graphics, the boats name and my serial number.











The serial number is on the port stern, the name is on the front of the combing, and my Seahorse graphic of course is on both sides of the bow.

I also took the 14 recess deck plugs and epoxied them to seal them before installation





02/23/09 I split the deck and the hull today, and glassed the outside of the hull.  This is the first layer of glass, and I will add reinforcing tomorrow.


02/22/09 I remembered my camera!!!  And I put a 2nd fill coat of epoxy on the boat.  I remember being told that many thin coats are better than less thick coats, so I am trying to keep them very thin.  I still have the fabric where it is covered but not filled.  I am going to stop here with the outside of the deck and finish the fill coats after installing the skeg handle, deck line recesses, and combing.  Limiting the amount of epoxy used and trying to keep the weight down.


stern to bow

Sorry about the bright sun shinning in on the wet epoxy


bow to stern

I also worked on the combing and glassed the other side of the plywood I am going to use for my bulkheads.

This is after the first coat of epoxy


02/21/09 Well, I went into the shop to clean it and get it ready to start glassing next week.  Well, that went so well, and dust had settled out, so I decided to see if I could glass it by myself.  I picked up a roll of “Boat Mask” wich is a piece of plastic conected to a roll of tape kind of like a masking machine.  After you tape the seam, you can unfold the plastic and it hangs a couple of feet down.  I figured if it came from the local fibreglass dealer, it should work better then painters paper did on my first yak. LOL  We will see.  I dug out the 30″ glass andunrolled it on the deck… I could not stand it, I had to dig out the epoxy and do my first fill.  Peggy came by and I recruited her help spreading epoxy.  The bad news is I didn’t take my camera, so I dont have any pics, but I will take it tomorrow!!!  The colors are looking really nice and rich, it is going to be a pretty yak.

  1. […] My Guillemot L (part 2 finishing) « Kayakkev’s BlogApr 2, 2009 … Jeramie Bourque New Iberia Louisiana. Reply. Jeramie Bourque 16 March 2010 at 3am. It is indeed a rice paper decal made using my inkjet … […]

  2. Whats shakin man? I was looking through your blog and noticed that cool lillt sea horse decal and the one on the inside of the combing. I was wondering what they were made of. Is it on ricepaper or what is the methode of application. I am in the starting phases of building the “Whiptail” by Ross Leidy and I wanted to use a decal under the glass exactly like you did . Would you mind sharing you process and or distributors of the decals. Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the Blog. The yaks are sweet.

    Jeramie Bourque
    New Iberia Louisiana

  3. Kev,

    Excellent work! and thank you so much for sharing. I have started the Guillemot last week and really appreciate the detailed blog and pictures!


  4. Kev, it’s an amazing trip, thanks for sharing. Also, glad you got out of the way of the front, that looks scary! Happy Paddles to you and your friends. -Anita

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: